Anthony Klan leaves The Australian
By Jonas Lopez in Media News on Tuesday, 11th June 2019 at 2:12pm
Anthony Klan is no longer with The Australian.
He said in a Tweet that he had been out for the past month and is now seeking new opportunities. Klan wrote for The Aus since early 2005, and his last articles were about issues in Westpac Bank and the UAP’s Senate ambitions.
“I had, and have, serious misgivings about the direction that is now being taken. Australia faces unprecedented external threats. To do otherwise, I felt, would be treasonous,” read part of Klan’s Tweet.
Follow Klan on Twitter @Anthony_Klan and on LinkedIn for further updates.To continue reading this article...
More Media News
Fourth Right: Who does the Official Secrets Act really protect?
By Pragadish Kirubakaran in Media News on Friday, 20th February 2026 at 2:47pm
There’s something oddly convenient about a law that doesn’t define what a “secret” is.
India’s Official Secrets Act, 1923, was drafted by a colonial government that feared pamphlets more than policy failures. A century later, it continues to sit on our statute books, quietly powerful, vaguely worded and occasionally unsheathed when information leaks become politically uncomfortable.
The law criminalises the unauthorised disclosure of government information deemed “secret.” That includes documents, sketches, plans, models and even oral communication. The penalty can stretch up to 14 years’ imprisonment in cases of espionage. Courts can conduct closed-door hearings. Media organisations can face liability. The definition of “secret”? That’s left to the discretion of the state.
And that’s where the discomfort begins.
Who does the OSA target?
On paper, the Act primarily applies to government employees who handle classified information. In practice, its s
Stark launches Personal Benchmarks
By Will McLennan in Media News on Friday, 20th February 2026 at 12:48pm
A couple of weeks ago, Leigh Stark introduced a large range of updates to Pickr as part of his Betterment program.
And this week he’s done more, introducing a “world-first” Personal Benchmark system for reviewing phones, which takes into account a mobile’s CPU Single Core, CPU Multiple Core and GPU.
“Personal benchmarks is basically a benchmarking platform with the ability to inject your own phone inside of it,” Stark told Influencing.
“We’ve seen regular benchmarks for years. They shuffled online and were a semi-interactive email service that oversaw the data points.
“A personalised benchmark takes that concept and says we have a big list of products used over the years, and asks if it's possible to see how my phone or other products sit in that list.”
It’s a two-part system, Stark explains, built for WordPress.
“On the front end, you assemble your benchmarks the way you would for a review…What makes it personal is a little button on the right
News Corp scores Albo for Future series events in SA and Vic
By Tony Bosworth in Media News on Friday, 20th February 2026 at 8:03am
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese will be taking part in News Corp Australia's 2026 Future series events in South Australia and Victoria this month, joining premiers and opposition leaders from both states as they prepare for upcoming elections.
Editorial coverage will feature across News’ leading mastheads including The Advertiser, Herald Sun, Geelong Advertiser, The Daily Telegraph, Townsville Bulletin, Cairns Post, NT News, Gold Coast Bulletin and The Courier-Mail.
Future SA takes place today, Friday 20 February, in Adelaide. Hosted by The Advertiser, the event focuses on growth and innovation to build a brighter future for South Australia, says News Corp. The PM will provide an address via video while South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas and Opposition Leader Ashton Hurn will deliver their vision for the state less than one month out from the SA election.
Alb
THE BRIEF: One big happy family
By Tony Bosworth in Media News on Friday, 20th February 2026 at 5:59am
Morning, welcome to both Friday and Ramadan, which began last night. And in a great piece of journalism, and in-depth coverage, and pictures too, The Sydney Morning Herald makes a major inclusive statement by covering the Muslim holy month, reporting from Lakemba. That's the Sydney suburb which earlier this week One Nation leader Pauline Hanson (who lives in Queensland...) portrayed as an unsafe, inhospitable enclave, reports Patrick Begley who has done a superb job of reporting from Lakemba this morning. In a time of rancour and even outright hate it's good to see. It's strength - like most stories - is in the people interviewed and featured, plus excellent pictures on both the front page of the print edition and two pages inside, by Sam Mooy. Great work.
Also at the SMH, an exclusive on page 1 by Angus Thomson ('Plan to protect children from toxic metals erased') is an important story. Thomson's opening para lays it bare: &quo
Hamro Khabar Sikkim marks 5th Foundation Day
By Staff Writer in Media News on Thursday, 19th February 2026 at 6:58pm
Geyzing-based digital media outlet Hamro Khabar Sikkim celebrated its fifth Foundation Day by felicitating eminent journalists and individuals from various fields for their contributions to society.
Journalists honoured on the occasion included Puran Tamang, founder of Summit Times; D.R. Dulal, sub editor of Himali Bela; and N.B. Ghimirey, writer and founder of Sikkim Jana Khabar. They were recognised for their long standing and dedicated service to journalism.
The organisation also honoured social activist Sanjay Pradhan, Dr Abhimanyu Sharma for his contribution to the health sector, Zilla Panchayat member Sagar Sharma and sportsperson Srijana Subba.
The programme, held at the Community Hall in Geyzing, was attended by Narayan Khatiwada, Chairperson of the Rural Development Department, as chief guest.
Speaking at the event, founder Rudra Kaushik said the platform was established to fill the gap of a dedicated digital news outlet in West Sikkim and reaffirmed its commitment to tr
Senior editor attacked by armed assailants in Imphal (E)
By Staff Writer in Media News on Thursday, 19th February 2026 at 6:53pm
A senior newspaper editor was allegedly attacked by unidentified armed men in Imphal East late on February 18. The assailants reportedly opened fire at his vehicle before physically assaulting him.
According to India Today NE, Khoirom Loyalakpa, editor of the vernacular daily Naharol Thoudang, was targeted near Hatta cemetery at around 10 pm. The attackers are said to have fired two rounds at his four wheeler and then confronted and beat him at the spot.
He was later admitted to the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences for treatment. His medical condition has not been officially disclosed.
A case has been registered at Porompat Police Station.
Kerala media delegation visits key infrastructure projects during Mumbai Press Tour
By Staff Writer in Media News on Thursday, 19th February 2026 at 6:25pm
As part of the ongoing Mumbai Press Tour organised by the Press Information Bureau, Thiruvananthapuram, a media delegation from Kerala visited several landmark infrastructure and heritage sites in the city.
The team visited Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, one of the oldest municipal corporations in the world. Officials briefed the delegation on the civic body’s administrative structure and its role in managing Mumbai’s urban infrastructure.
The journalists also visited the Cleaveland Bunder Pumping Station at Worli Village, a crucial stormwater management facility developed by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. The station plays a key role in mitigating flooding in the city during the monsoon season.
As part of the tour, the delegation explored the Elephanta Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located off the coast of Mumbai. The visit highlighted the cultural and historical significance of the ancient rock-cut caves.
On the infrastructure front, the delegation was b
Media news latest
News Corp titles The Advertiser, Herald Sun, Geelong Advertiser, The Daily Telegraph, Townsville Bulletin, Cairns Post, NT News, Gold Coast Bulletin and The Courier-Mail will be extensively covering the company's 2026 Future series events, the first two featuring PM Albanese. ... Show more
In today's news roundup we have 'one big happy family', and no that's not the UK royals, plus 'One Nation, two views', Barnaby disagrees with Pauline, 'SA Libs face wipeout', toxic metals and kids, and the former Prince Andrew in the frame - both pictorially and with the coppers, plus more. ... Show more
ABC News has announced that senior journalist Sabra Lane will join its Hobart newsroom and present the Tasmanian 7PM News bulletin on Saturdays and Sundays. ... Show more
Marcoms news latest
PR experts Nick Zonnios and Lauren Hunt have teamed up to launch Zonnios&Hunt, a communications consultancy designed to streamline brand storytelling with a sharp, strategy-first approach, Mumbrella reported. ... Show more
Moët Hennessy Australia New Zealand has appointed Nausicaa Charrier as its marketing director, Mumbrella reported. ... Show more
Sling & Stone founder and CEO Vuki Vujasinovic will step down on January 1 after leading the agency for over a decade. ... Show more