Jennifer Dudley-Nicholson makes a winning run on ABC’s Hard Quiz
By Seamus Byrne in Media News on Friday, 23rd October 2020 at 9:45amNews Corp’s national technology editor, Jennifer Dudley-Nicholson, is a well-known quiz fiend, and this week she made an appearance on Tom Gleeson’s Hard Quiz over at the ABC. And don’t worry, Gleeson doesn’t let the News Corp journalist thing slide past without comment. Jen had the last laugh though!

You can catch all the action over at ABC iView, but we’ve also caught up with Dudley-Nicholson for the behind the scenes scoop and her future plans for quiz show domination.
What's your TV quiz history now, for those not playing along at home?
Well, I'm no Angus Kidman but I had appeared on Temptation and Million-Dollar Minute previously. My goal is always to avoid total embarrassment, which made Hard Quiz a bit harder than most!&n...
To continue reading this article...
More Influencing|Tech
Insider: Petra Stock’s advice to PRs: skip the phone pitch
By Will McLennan in Media News on Monday, 18th May 2026 at 11:50am
The Guardian’s Climate and Environment reporter Petra Stock says PRs are more likely to get her attention with a strong email than a phone call.
Speaking on Influencing Insider, Stock said email is the best way to pitch her, given the pace of daily news at The Guardian.
“I prefer email to phone calls. I do love chatting to people, but in my job at The Guardian, I’m churning out a story almost every day. So there’s a lot of crunch, and emails are really good,” she said.
Stock said during her appearance that photos and videos also help when pitching. She added that she was also interested in positive stories that bring joy.
She’s also keeping an eye out for stories that are different from her usual reporting.
“It could be something that we haven't covered a lot, or a new stat that allows us to look at an issue that doesn't get a lot of airtime.
“If something comes in that allows me to shine a light on something t
Stop overworking journalists, says ABC CEO
By Staff Writers in Media News on Monday, 18th May 2026 at 7:41am
ABC managing director Hugh Marks has declared that media organisations, including the public broadcaster itself, must abandon volume-driven content models and refocus on distinctive programming. He warned that journalists and producers across the industry are buckling under pressure to fill an ever-expanding number of platforms.
In an interview with Alan Kohler on the ABC's That's Business podcast, Marks (pictured above) argued the entire sector, commercial and public, confronts the same structural problem: rationalising output to match where audiences and revenue are actually shifting. He said the ABC had gone from operating two platforms to five — television, radio, digital, podcasting and social — without a matching lift in staffing.
"We've got the same staff level to do it. So that has to change," Marks said.
The prescription, he argued, applies to every player. "Less volume, more distinctiveness, is our future. It's the same sor
Upfront: Budget backlash bites, Death tax returns, Tax reform dodged.
By Staff Writers in Media News on Monday, 18th May 2026 at 6:08am
From The Australian's Monday front page
Budget backlash bites Labor as polling slumps
Several front pages lead with evidence the federal budget has backfired politically, with Labor’s primary vote reported at 29% after breaking tax-election promises and support bleeding to minor parties. The story matters because it sharpens leadership pressure on Anthony Albanese and reshapes the pre-election contest, with Angus Taylor edging ahead as preferred PM in the polling cited. Covered by: Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Australian, The Australian.
“Death tax” fight reignites over trust changes
The government is facing renewed heat after the Prime Minister acknowledged testamentary (inheritance) trusts would face higher taxes under planned changes, after earlier assurances they were exempt. Beyond the political optics, it raises real stakes for estate planning and intergenerational wealth—an issue that can quickly become a defining election battleground.
TODAY’S TEN: NEET paper trail under scanner, fuel inflation surges and more
By Staff Writer in Media News on Friday, 15th May 2026 at 3:15pm
Friday, 15 May 2026
#1 · Times City · Investigative
Blast Plot Explained In 7.5k Pages: NIA Files Chargesheet, Links To Explosion Near Red Fort
By Staff Reporter · The Times of India · Page 2
The NIA has filed a chargesheet running to 7,500 pages in connection with an explosion near Red Fort, linking the accused to a blast plot spanning six states and citing 588 witness testimonies. The chargesheet names 11 individuals as accused and details alleged connections to foreign agencies, with investigators documenting property damage and a sophisticated conspiracy. The case involves a 1,200-page probe covering multiple states and a range of evidentiary material.
The story draws on a voluminous primary document — the NIA chargesheet itself — to reconstruct the scope and architecture of the alleged conspiracy, giving it strong evidentiary grounding and original reporting value beyond a routine cour
FOURTH RIGHT: When does your social media post land you in jail?
By Pradeep Damodaran in Media News on Friday, 15th May 2026 at 3:09pm
Journalists and popular social media personalities courting arrest for posting objectionable content is nothing new in India -- Indian law has ample provisions.
But the recent arrest of a popular social media influencer from Delhi over some controversial posts on 'X' platform on the death of a businessman and his release on bail just five hours later have once again reignited the debate on when can a social media post land you in prison.
Let's do a recap of the case: Dr Neelam Singh, popularly known online as “The Skin Doctor”, was arrested by Delhi Police over alleged social media posts linked to the family of late businessman Sunjay Kapur.
A dermatologist who became popular on social media through videos beyond medical content, Singh shares views on politics, social issues and current affairs. His YouTube channel describes him as “A dermatologist speaking on social issues."
As reported by Bar & Bench, Singh was arrested over a post that re
IN PR: Hughes makes London switch
By Staff Writers in Media News on Friday, 15th May 2026 at 2:20pm
Laura Hughes departs Untitled Group for a gig in London
Laura Hughes, Director of Communications at Untitled Group, has announced that she has wrapped up her time at the Group, after nearly nine years at the group, moving to London.
“Over the years, I’ve navigated rapid growth, evolving audiences, cultural shifts and increasingly global conversations. These experiences have shaped me into a far more rounded leader and operator than I could have imagined when I first started in this industry 12 years ago,” Hughes commented on her time at Untitled on LinkedIn.
Previously, she assumed various PR roles at Beyond The Valley, Grapevine Gathering, Pitch Music & Arts, Xe54, Daily Nightly Records, One World Entertainment and interned at Freuds and Hausmann Communications.
Mackenzie Simes departs Thrive PR
Mackenzie Simes has announced on LinkedIn departed her role as PR consultant at Thrive PR.
She worked for two years at Thrive PR, j
Media news latest
The ABC is under pressure to be everywhere at once, but Hugh Marks says that model is unsustainable. The broadcaster’s managing director says the future lies in “less volume, more distinctiveness” — even if that means killing off long-running programs. ... Show more
Upfront: Budget backlash bites, Death tax returns, Tax reform dodged.
Marcoms news latest
PR experts Nick Zonnios and Lauren Hunt have teamed up to launch Zonnios&Hunt, a communications consultancy designed to streamline brand storytelling with a sharp, strategy-first approach, Mumbrella reported. ... Show more
Moët Hennessy Australia New Zealand has appointed Nausicaa Charrier as its marketing director, Mumbrella reported. ... Show more