Stevens named Stuff NZ head of news
By Jonas Lopez in Media News on Friday, 26th November 2021 at 4:05pm
Mark Stevens has stepped up as the head of news for Stuff New Zealand.He had been the company’s editorial director since November 2017.
Stevens is a well-tested veteran of Stuff, having joined as editor in October 2007 after a decade at The Dominion Post as crime reporter, deputy chief reporter and chief reporter. He moved up to group digital editor in December 2013.
Follow Stevens on Twitter @Mark_Stevens_.
To continue reading this article...
More Media News
Upfront: Swans scandal shockwave, Rent hike alarm, Hanson’s migration gambit.
By Staff Writer in Media News on Tuesday, 18th August 2026 at 6:11am
Swans rocked by alleged hotel sexual assault investigation
Victoria Police have questioned several Sydney Swans players over an alleged sexual assault at a Melbourne hotel, plunging the club into crisis on the eve of finals. The story has major sporting and reputational stakes, with the AFL and club weighing whether players should be stood down and what sanctions may follow. Covered by: Herald Sun, The Age, Sydney Morning Herald, Daily Telegraph, The Advertiser, Courier Mail, The Mercury, The Australian.
Housing tax changes spark rent-rise warnings and mortgage slump claims
National Australia Bank is warning rents could jump sharply over the next two years, linking the pressure to the federal government’s removal of key property investor tax concessions. In Queensland, the debate is being framed as a “housing tax crash”, with claims the changes are already hitting mortgage demand—setting up a politically charged fight over affordability, supply and who bears the costs. Cover
Reporter arrested in Hyderabad over alleged assault and intimidation of minor
By Staff Writer in Media News on Monday, 17th August 2026 at 9:40pm
A 32-year-old reporter associated with YouTube channel SNZ News was arrested by Mehdipatnam police in Hyderabad in connection with an alleged assault and intimidation of a minor, Hyderabad Mail reported.
The accused, identified by police as Arif Hussain, a resident of Tolichowki, allegedly used his position as a media reporter to intimidate the minor before the incident escalated into an assault.
Based on a complaint, police registered a case against Hussain under Sections 64(2)(m) and 123 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and Sections 7 and 8 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
Hussain was produced before a court and remanded in judicial custody.
Mehdipatnam Inspector S. Mallesh urged the public not to be intimidated by individuals who misuse their positions or titles. He also appealed to people to report such incidents immediately by calling Dial-112.
Image credits: Hyderabad Mail
Chennai Press Club condemns restrictions on journalists at TVK investment conclave
By Meena R. Prashant in Media News on Monday, 17th August 2026 at 7:40pm
Journalists covering the TVK government’s maiden Vetri Tamil Nadu Investment Conclave 2026 in Chennai were allegedly denied entry to the venue and made to wait outside until Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay had left, prompting condemnation from the Chennai Press Club.
The one-day conclave, held on August 13, was intended to showcase Tamil Nadu as an investment destination, but restrictions on media access became a point of contention among journalists covering the event.
Janardhan Koushik, Bureau Chief, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, PTI Videos, said journalists were kept outside the venue for nearly 40 minutes.
“When we went to cover the event, journalists were not even allowed to enter the premises. We were made to stand outside and were allowed in only after the Chief Minister left,” Koushik said.
When journalists questioned Law Minister C T R Nirmal Kumar about the restrictions, he reportedly cited space constraints and difficulties in accommodating a large
A deep dive into pink slime
By Nigel Bowen in Media News on Tuesday, 18th August 2026 at 7:30am
When Prism News emailed Allan Leibowitz in late July to suggest he share an AI-rewritten version of his own reporting with his digitalDrummer readership, it may just have been an Australian publication’s first contact with AI-generated ‘pink slime’.
However, it’s unlikely to be the last time an Australian media outlet finds its content scraped and repurposed by entrepreneurial types keen to use AI to create content at minimal cost.
An expert investigator
While researching its recent story on Leibowitz and his experience with Prism News, Influencing crossed paths with Emily Horne, who was also in the process of investigating Prism.
Horne is a former US State Department employee. Her day job is running the Washington comms agency she founded four years ago, after departing a senior spokesperson role in the Biden White House. In her spare time, she writes Spin Class, a Substack on the intersection of communications, journalis
Logies 2026 winners list: Sam Pang wins Gold
By Staff writers in Media News on Monday, 17th August 2026 at 2:54pm
The 2026 Logie Awards have seen Sam Pang win the Gold Logie for Most Popular Personality on Australian Television, the night’s top award, while several major honours recognised leading figures and programs across news, current affairs and sports broadcasting.
Pang was presented with the Gold Logie by Magda Szubanski in character as Sharon Strzelecki. Jelena Dokic won the Bruce McAvaney Award for Most Popular Sports Presenter, while Ally Langdon took the Ray Martin Award for Most Popular News or Public Affairs Presenter. Robert Irwin won the Bert Newton Award for Most Popular Presenter.
In the news and public affairs categories, 7NEWS and Sunrise won Best News Coverage or Public Affairs Report for their coverage of the Bondi terror attack, while Australian Story was named Best Current Affairs Program. The ABC’s The Assembly won Best Factual or Documentary Program, and the Australian Open 2026 took out Best Sports Coverage.
The Logies Hall of Fame also recognised three
Journalists cry foul as Rajasthan curbs school access without prior permission
By Meena R. Prashant in Media News on Monday, 17th August 2026 at 3:16pm
Rajasthan's media fraternity has objected to an August 16 order from the state Education Department barring any audio or video recording, or interaction with outsiders, on school premises without prior written permission from school authorities.
Journalists have questioned the order's timing, pointing to recent reporting on conditions in government schools that they say may have prompted the restriction.
The circular directs government schools in Rajasthan to strictly regulate the entry of outsiders and prohibits photography, videography, interviews, audio recording and live streaming of students, teachers or school activities without the principal’s prior written permission.
It also requires visitors to make entries in registers and bars unauthorised access to classrooms, laboratories, libraries, playgrounds and other student activity areas. The directive cites the need to protect children’s safety, dignity and privacy and allows schools to seek police assistance in case
TODAY’S TEN: 40 of top 50 rice districts face rain deficits, toxic groundwater hits UP villages and more
By Staff Writer in Media News on Monday, 17th August 2026 at 3:24pm
Monday, 17 August 2026
#1 · Front Page · Breaking news
NTA admits errors, 3 NET tests will be held again
By Staff Reporter · Times of India (Delhi Edition) · Page 1
The National Testing Agency has admitted to errors — including misspelt names and translation errors — in at least three NET examinations, which will be re-conducted as a result. The story covers the agency's acknowledgment of factual mistakes and the sequence of corrective options being considered. It follows ongoing scrutiny of the NTA's examination administration processes.
The story directly holds a major public examination body accountable for systemic administrative failures with specific details on the nature of errors and institutional response, making it a clear accountability piece with public-interest consequence. First selection on this topic across publications reviewed.
#2 · Front Page&n
Media news latest
In Front Page News Today: Swans questioned over alleged assault; housing tax changes spark rent warnings; One Nation’s migration push rattles Canberra. ... Show more
Sam Pang leads the lists of winners for this year's Logies.
Kyle Sandilands Live has been such a stunning success that he is now on course to make more from his new venture than he would have on his $10 million KIIS salary, with subscribers numbers revealed for the first time. ... Show more